Location and History
The school was originally founded in 1855 ‘chiefly by the exertions of the honourable Margaret Leticia Matilda Dame Pell, for the glory of God and to promote the sound Christian education of the poorer classes’, as it says on the plaque in our school hall. It moved from the High Street to its present site in 1958.
The school is situated at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, named Carpond Lane, which is just off Wilburton High Street. The building is set in attractive grounds with a playing field, adventure playground and a heated outdoor swimming pool.
The school originally consisted of three classrooms but was extended in 1970, 1986, 1993, 1996 and 2005. Like the Tardis, it is now bigger on the inside!
There are five classrooms, all of which have outside access. There are shared spaces which link the two foundation stage/key stage one classes and the two key stage two classes, and provide an area for group work and are used as computer suites. The new hall is big enough to fit all the children, their parents and a stage and it means we can perform to our hearts’ content! The old hall is used as a teaching space, a dining room and is the base for our fantastic Out of School club which is open before and after school, as well as several weeks in the holidays.
Outside we have a playground with an adventure trail, an outdoor pool, a large field and a beautiful nature area. Look up and you will see 16 solar panels on our south-facing roof.